Creating a Wildlife Pond

YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,628

I've decided to build a pond in my garden.  I've had one before but it was basically a home for koi carp, although I have to say it did attract an awful lot of wildlife.  This time I'm creating it with wildlife in mind.

I have chosen a spot that is at the top of the garden  in an area that is quiet and close to a part of the garden that contains a log pile and is left slightly overgrown with ivy, hidden toad houses built of house bricks and lots of ground cover plants.

This is the progress for day one.  If I survive and can walk tomorrow I might do a bit more.

Before

Moved quite a few plants, think the acer will look good next to pond

The size will be roughly 2.5 metres long by 1.5 metres wide

The deepest part will be approx 2ft deep

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

Looks good, I hope you survive, that's a lot of diggingimage

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,628

Nut, I wont be doing it all on my own.  Hubby has promised to give me a hand.  I barrowed loads of top soil and spread it round the garden today.  I've checked and its good soil down to a depth of about 15" so shouldn't have much subsoil to get rid of.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

• TesniTesni Posts: 155

Wow, that's looking great so far! Good luck! What a beautiful garden.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,651

Well done Yvie, look forward to seeing how you progressimage Your garden is beautiful and I'm sure your pond will be too.

• Where's the overgrown ivy and mess you were describing? Seems to be near a smart end of a lovely garden. 

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,176

What beautiful soil!

See, when I was a teenager I'd have hated myself for making such a statement as "What beautiful soil" ha ha.  

I only commented really because I'm very interested in this project YvieStevie, I'll be doing the same at some point (maybe next year now).  

I'm a bit concerned about how difficult that bit of lawn to the right will be to mow.  I realise it's only about two strokes with the mower but I'm aiming for mowing ease when I do mine so I'm soaking up your pictures with a view to learning from them.

Do keep us informed.

Will you use carpet under the rubber stuff?  I have some carpet in the house that is probably going under my wildlife pond as liner.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,628

TinyGardenGirl,  I'll take a photo of the messy bit tomorrow, it's to the right of the pond area behind a bench, planning to make sure there is enough cover for froggies etc to make their way to that area through the undergrowth.

Cloggie, you're right the soil here is wonderful.  The house used to belong to someone who grew prize winning Chrysanths and he made sure the soil was well fertilized.

I'm looking at liners at the moment. Hubby has found one with a 40 year guarantee that has a built in underlay.  Don't have any carpet available. 

The lawn has lots of curves already, I'm used to mowing and edging them, can't stand straight edges.

I'm on Fen soil so some of the garden is wonderful but some is solid clay (there was a brickworks up the road to confirm this).  Having said that, this is the best garden I've had for workability, it's gorgeous compared to other places I've lived.

Yeah mine has curves and I don't like straight edges but what I've got just now has some awkward "corners" that I intend to iron out when I make changes (only been here a couple of years) to make mowing a breeze.  I worked with a bloke who had a friend who made a mowing line then worked the garden round that, ha ha.  Not sure I'd go that far but the germ of an idea is there.