Forum home Plants

Where can I buy Erysimum 'Bowles's Mauve' wallflower seeds?

young codgeryoung codger Posts: 507

I`m keen to obtain some seeds for the mauve coloured perennial wallflower. Anyone know where I can get the seeds  (see link).

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/91464/i-Erysimum-i-Bowles-s-Mauve/Details

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

I think Erysimum Bowles Mauve don't produce seeds and those could be sterile.

Better to get a plant and take cuttings :)

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,296

Cuttings root really easily and with care you can increase your stock and have replacement plants for when they finally flower themselves to death. Mine has had flowers all through last spring and summer and all through the winter too. Amazing plants and bees love them too!

• I'm glad you two have told me that. I would have wasted a lot of time searching for seeds-thank you. I'll look for plants now and do as advised. 

• Update.

Just got back from the local nursery. Got 3 bushy specimens for £2.20 each. Well rooted too, not just potted up.  Just given them a drink. Hoping to put them in the garden later  today. 

Thank you Madpenguin & Buttercupdays. image

imageimage

• jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 424

These never seem to be out of flower. i have one that i planted last Feb and it has literally flowering continually for over a year. I must try taking some cuttings but it's hard to get a non flowering stem.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

Lovely looking plants.I have about one season left in mine so I must take cuttings this year!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 561
    Chloe Kraven says:

Nice easy plant.

Halfway between Geranium Rozanne and Lavender Hidcote in terms of versatility

5 for £10 at B&Q at the moment round our way.  The ones you've bought look very healthy hun and itching to get into the garden image

Last edited: 15 April 2017 20:22:28

See original post

Hmmm, looks like I'll be popping round to B&Q on Easter  Monday !

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144

You can buy seeds for these, bit expensive but not as expensive as buying plants. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,875

Plant World seeds say they've developed a strain that does produce seed. But is it really Bowles' Mauve if BM is sterile? 

https://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/flower_seed_categories/ERYSIMUM_SEEDS

they aren't saying that you will get Bowles' Mauve from them.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144

They say 

All habits, from tiny to tall, and large and small flowers will appear, and including colour variations and bi-colours, from pale mauve to deepest purple. 

Theyre working on it? Worth a try?  In a couple of years they will have them. 

Maybe they are of the type that only throws a fertile seed very rarely.

i had a seed head from something else, (not wallflower) but there was only one viable seed in the whole head, the rest were sterile. 

Last edited: 22 July 2017 15:35:23

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.