Forum home Wildlife gardening

First cuckoo?

Heard our first cuckoo in our garden this morning on south Dartmoor - anyone else seen/heard one?  

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

Nothiing yet

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,580

Yes.  A week or two ago.  The earliest ever in Belgium was the 25th of April so this was 3 weeks earlier.   It'll be interesting to see if they stick around longer then the Belgian ones which always lef in mid-July.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • No cuckoo yet. Didn't hear or see one last year for the first time in some years. Swallows and house martins have arrived. First saw them last week and there are more today. No hedgehogs yet despite leaving food. The last of the migrant starlings have gone; been feeding hundreds through the winter but they started to leave about 3 weeks ago and haven't seen any for some days now. Hurrah! 

• None heard in Guernsey either - although they are often seen in Herm - a tiny island just 3 miles away.  We used to get them within earshot - once on our house chimney - but that was at least 5 - 10 years ago.

• Anyone else remember this?  What the cuckoo said.............!

In April I open my bill.

In May I sing night and day.

In June I change my tune.

In July away I fly.

In August, away I must!

we used to sing that when we were children!

• The version I know is similar:

The cuckoo comes in April,

sings her song in May,

in sweet June, she changes tune,

and in July she flies away.