Oxygenators

Work has started again on my pond - I posted late last year when the excavation began.  I filled the pond with tap water on Sunday evening but despite my best efforts at hosing down the stones and pebbles before putting them in the water there is still plenty of sediment getting in there.  Work with stones etc still not finished, I suspect it will take me a while to get to a position where I am happy with it all.  It had been my intention to go shopping for some oxygenating plants tomorrow and just throw them in letting them get on with it while work continues. Am I best to wait until it all settles or can I just pop them in and carry on working away?  I envisage I am a while away before adding pond plants too.  Will that also have a detrimental effect on the pond?  Once again thanks in advance.   

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916

It looks as though it is clearing nicely. You are ok with the oxygenators now and the pond plants also. Good luck. It is looking good.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,553

It's always frustrating at that stage because you want it all planted and looking nice! It's a great size.

The water will settle down, but you will get some algae and blanketweed etc as it all warms up. Don't worry about getting plants in at any stage. You'll always get a bit of disruption of any sediment etc, but it's part of the process. image

Have you got some ideas of the planting you fancy for the pond itself? There are loads of good online suppliers which many of us here have used. It can be difficult to source them as most GCs don't stock much. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 421

Looking good. It's OK to put oxygenators in at this stage. As you've used tap water to fill your pond, they will also help to suck up some of the excess nutrients and help avoid an algae bloom.

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Hogweed - thank you, just what I was hoping to hear.  Glad you like!  I'm very pleased with it.

Fairygirl - I've an idea of which plants I'd like, I've been reading recommendations in many recent posts and older ones for that matter.  Which I will keep in mind if what I want can't be found locally.  I'm lucky that 2 nearby GCs stock some plants so will be visiting both tomorrow just to see what they've got.  I want to get the far side, where the current planting is, sorted first as this could prove awkward if I don't get it right first time.

The helpful herbetologist - the algae bloom was what prompted me to consider getting the oxygenators in as soon as was viable to do so.  I am prepared that it will green up and won't be downhearted when it does!

Thanks again everyone.  As always, good practical advice.