Forum home Plants

What do I do with my jurassic plant?

I bought a jurassic plant from Asda and everything has been fine but all of a sudden it has fallen over and the leaves are coming off. What should I do?

Last edited: 13 April 2017 13:27:07

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480

No idea what Asda are calling a 'jurassic plant' ... can you post a photo for us please Charleyannem?

Start with the camera icon ... if it doesn't upload try reducing the size of the photo. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480

It looks like one of the varieties of aloe - it needs quite dry conditions - if the soil is wet let it dry out and then only water it occasionally.  

It also needs to be in quite bright sunlight, but not hot sunshine - an east or west facing windowsill is good.  

I hope that helps image

Not really sure why they call it Jurassic ... marketing people getting creative I expect image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks so much ?

• Hi, I also have a  Jurassic plant, bought by my son from Asda, and I hardly ever water it, and it now has a flower stem, interesting.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,689
    Aloes of all types do flower quite easily once mature and in the right conditions.  As per @Dovefromabove I find it hard to understand why they are labelled Jurassic Plants - suspect laziness rather than creative tho :D
  • carletonexoticcarletonexotic YorkshirePosts: 73
    I clicked on the thread purely to find out what a jurassic plant was. It's usually supermarket shorthand for big leaved plants, so this is the first time I've seen an aloe labelled as such!

As others have said, a bright sunny window is its best position - and water sparingly!
    An exotic jungle garden in West Yorkshire: instagram.com/carletonexotic