Forum home Wildlife gardening

Small plant for between pond stones.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

Does anyone know of a small but not invasive plant that could be grown between the stone surrounding my wildlife pond.The stones are loose laid so something creeping under the that wouldn't mind an occasional dip in the water,but otherwise in a sunny position.Not Helxine as I already have this and its just is too rampant and quickly overtakes! Would Pratia work?

This is the bit I want to plant:-

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

I use Creeping Jenny in a similar spot - Lysimachia nummularia ...

there's also a golden leaved form L. nummlaria 'aurea'. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/515.shtml 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

I don't actually like creeping jenny! image Gets a bit 'messy' for me!!!

Just been googling and wonder if Mazus reptans could be a contender?

Last edited: 12 April 2017 14:48:16

• I was going to use creeping Jenny and Vinca - Periwinkle purple or white around the edges of my pond, also some ferns and grasses.  All very informal and free flowing, but they help to hid any straight lines, and make good habitats for pond creatures.

The pond does get quite sunny at a certain time of the day.The fern has only just gone in so don't yet know how it will fare.

Just been down to my local aquatic store and got some Mazus reptans which could do the job.It needs to creep under and between the stones and trail into the water so could be OK.I will give it a go anyway!

I can't grow campanulas in this garden for some reason,in my previous garden they flourished!

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,744

We have used variegated Arabis in a similar situation and it has done well and is slow growing. Leptinella squalida is also nice but may be too small for your needs. As the soil is up against your fence and may be quite dry, why not try Sedum Pachyclados or another one of the creeping Sedums. There's a lovely acid yellow one called Sedum Golden Carpet.

I have some Sedums at the front of the pond and Sedum kimnachii round the back and are just taking off.These all cover the top of the stones but I am looking for something that will creep under the stones.

The Leptinella sounds a good one.I had it once but don't know where it went,have to get another methinks!

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481

Scirpus Cernuus would look great in that space, and would thrive next to a pond.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,977

Saxifrage? I think it would cope with drooping into the water if it's roots are above water level. It'll find it's level, at which it's happiest.

I have gone with Mazus reptans.It creeps but apparently is not invasive and easily contained (we will see!).

Photo of it just planted under the rocks and will see how it fares over the coming season.