Forum home Problem solving

giant cardoon

Hi

I planted my first giant cardoon in the newly created gravel garden at the front of my house. It went through winter happily and didn't completely die down like I'd expected. Now it is growing away steadily, but the bottom leaves keep turning yellow and wilting. Is this completely normal and should I just keep removing them or is it lacking something? I haven't watered the plants out there after their first few weeks of establishing

thank you :)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,186

NOT SURE HOW YELLOW THEY ARE BUT THE BOTTOM LEAVES DO HAVE A HABIT OF DYING OFF.

IS THE REST OF THE PLANT GROWING STRONGLY? 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Aurum66Aurum66 Posts: 65

yes, the rest of it look strong and lively :)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,186

OH WELL, JUST WAIT AND SEE. I'M SURE IT WILL BE FINE. THEY ARE PRETTY TOUGH THINGS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Aurum66Aurum66 Posts: 65

Thank you for the reassurance Pansyface. I've always admired these majestic beasts when I've seen them so it has pride of place in front of my house -well away from the window so it doesn't block out all the light when it full grown

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294

Is it the old foliage yellowing? If so, it's perfectly normal.

Devon.
  • I just thought I'd give an update. My giant cardoon has gone from strength to strength. It only died back completely when the snow was around for a while last winter. Other than that there are usually some leaves all year, but the outer ones tend to fade, droop and dry out leaving all of the lovely new growth. I love it so much I'm planting another this spring in pride of place in our main garden. Literally the only downside I can see to this tolerant and magnificent plant is that the blackfly LOVE it. They don't seem to damage the plant, but it looks unpleasant. This year I will be prepared for them with an organic pest control method - ladybirds and their lavae and Aphidoletes
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Thanks for the update.......I was going to try to grow a couple this year