Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wasps Nest in an unfortunate place

ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,315

Hi everyone...for the last few days I have noticed a large Queen Wasp hanging about the garden, then this morning I found the nest.

Queeny has decided to build a home in my Keter garden storage bench.

The nest is fixed to the underside of the seat / lid.

Now as much as I like Wasps, I can't really have a nest this close to the house and moving the bench is not an option as it's fixed to the wall.

I would love to watch the entire nest building process, but very soon 1 wasp will turn into 4 ( 3 eggs so far ) and then probably a lot more, so I think it will have to go and Queeny will have to find a new place for her nest, which is shame.

Do I have any other options?

• kathie51dkathie51d Posts: 100

Hi Sheps, personally I would remove asap, it looks like the start of a wasp or hornet nest, by middle of summer you could have a nest the size of a football. I stumbled upon  a huge one mid summer last year hidden in old wood log in undisturbed garden area. Just touched wood with a hoe and was stung 5 times, damn painful. When nest unattended remove before eggs mature in larvea. Seal the entrance to the seat where access is. I found out council will not remove till nest died out November way. By then I did it myself when wasps no longer visible.Different Nests have different methods of removal.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,186
    Sheps says:
    ...  Do I have any other options?

Don't think so ... I'd get rid of it ... she'll find somewhere else to build.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,315

Thanks both...nest now gone, after removing it Queeny was back inside the bench looking for her nest image

I'll have to keep an eye on the bench, just in case she tries to build another nest in the same place.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,186

Can you leave the lid up for a day or so (weather permitting)?  That way she should decide it's the wrong sort of place after all.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

My thoughts exactly, Dove! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,315

Thanks Dove...Queeny was getting in via the drain channels, so I blocked both ends and filled with water, so now she has moved on.