Creating a border above a fence

Hi. we have a wooden fence that runs along our garden and the path on the other side. The fence is the maximum height it can be but to due levels on either side it means people can see into our garden.

I need to create some extra height of half a foot. I can't build onto the fence i don't think as that would require planning permission. Is there anything i can use next to the fence that would grow and obscure the view into our garden. 

any suggestions welcome. thanks.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449

You could probably get away with fixing trellis to the top of the fence.  I can't imagine the council sending the boys round to sort you out for the sake of 6".

• leechildleechild Posts: 2
    KT53 says:

You could probably get away with fixing trellis to the top of the fence.  I can't imagine the council sending the boys round to sort you out for the sake of 6".

See original post

Great idea. now just need to find some quick growing plants for it. we move in next month, so any suggestions on what grows quickly looks nice over the summer would be great.

• lb191lb191 Posts: 80

Get planning or do what you want and budget for retrospective permission if they complain.

I'm in a conservation area with low level dry stone walls and they still let me erect a 3m fence due to the neighbour being on higher ground.

The parish council complained with a huge list of objections (next door is head of the parish council!) and I was still granted permission.