Forum home Problem solving

Poorly Conifer

My conifer was bought as a tiny Christmas tree about 15 years ago and is now around 6 foot high. When I was gardening today I noticed some of the lower branches have wet black stuff on them. Is it sooty mould and should I spray it, I think there were small insects on it, or just blast it with the hose to wash it off  and then feed it? I did remove a few of the lower branches to let in a bit more light and air.

Posts

  • Black wet stuff doesn't sound like sooty mould - that's dry. Unless, of course, it was a damp morning. If it washes off, good.  So to concentrate on the possible problem - sap sucking insects possibly. I'd blast it off with the hose (it won't harm the tree) and keep an eye on it.

    H-C

  • Thank you.

Sign In or Register to comment.