Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildlife pond installed, now what?

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875

I'm ready to start getting my wildlife pond going.
I emptied it of masses of rotting leaves, smelly water, 2 newts and a frog (all re-homed for a while in my fish pond).

I'm going to have some sort of beach/small rockery within the orange line with some yorkstone also going into the pond on the shelves for access and a small mains-powered pump, but only to provide a gentle trickle of water. I'm aware that water features aren't for w/life ponds.
The pond has a capacity of 1100 litres and 2ft deep and is in full sun for most of the day with some shade from an apple tree from mid afternoon

What planting can you knowledgeable folk suggest for the pond please and any suggested suppliers?

Am I correct in thinking it's best to fill the pond about 10 days before putting the plants in?

I've had pond fish and tropical fish for 50+yrs now, so I have plenty of experience with those.

Many thanks as always

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

Native hornwort is a brilliant oxygenator, brooklime is a wonderful marginal plant and water soldier will provide shade in the centre of the pond.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875

Thanks Dove that'll get me started.

I've got koi in my fish pond so the only thing that survives there  is a very old water lilly - and watercress on the waterfall

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 332

I bought a very small water lily for my pond which looks about the same size as yours, last year from my local aquatic shop.

• barry sbarry s Posts: 23

hi

the company wetland plants is a good supplier. We purchased a range of british naturals last spring and they are really spreading this year.

I just ordered the plants last night from Waterside (inc Dove's suggestions) - then saw your post this morning...if I need more I'll try Wetland Plants. I always prefer to by from a recommended source.

I have ordered a little lily too, a NYMPHAEA PYGMAEA HELVOLA which can sit at one end of the pond and a water hawthorn for the other end.

Thanks

The pond is now planted, I filled the pond from the hose, so let it settle for 10 days then planted, and this is where I'm at today.

Plants in the pond are-

RORIPPA NASTURTIUM-AQUATICUM (Water Cress)
    SAGITTARIA SAGITTIFOLIA
    RANUNCULUS FLAMMULA
    VERONICA BECCABUNGA (Brooklime) - these look lovely already - thanks Dove
    MYRIOPHYLLUM SPICATUM (Spiked Milfoil)
    CERATOPHYLLUM DEMERSUM (Hornwort)
    Miniature waterlily - NYMPHAEA PYGMAEA HELVOLA - just to add an exotic touch ;)
    Water Hawthorn

Now I need some help with what to plant around the pond?
    I don't want to dress the pond edge with rock so ideally something low growing and evergreen that would hide the pond edge and dip into the water, so small grasses spring to mind as a possibility but not sure what else. There will be a small yorkstone rockery with a trickle of water as in pic in post 1.
    I've planted a daphne tangutica and dwarf rhododendron Arctic Tern in the area already - having bought them, I didn't know where else to put them image

I'm going to have an arbour at the back against the fence, so I can watch the goings on in the pond on those warm lazy summer days that are just around the corner...

To put it in context it's an area at the end of my garden where I have my g/house, raised fruit/veg beds etc-

What lowish growing ideas for that little area please fellow wild-life encouragers? It's south facing and underneath 2ft of topsoil (that I lightly manured last atuumn) it's good ol'essex clay

• Ado AnnieAdo Annie Posts: 20

Festuca glauca immediately springs to mind, not too tall, readily available and gives a nice contrast to other plants. Mind you drainage could be a problem but hopefully all that topsoil will do the trick. Going off at a tangent have you thought about a small boggy area next part of the pond? Best of both worlds perhaps.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198

Hi Pete - I think I'd have a mix of heights rather than all low growing. It provides more interest and a better habitat in general. Carexes would be ideal as many are evergreen, but avoid the invasive one - pendula.

I'd agree with Annie about having a little boggy area- it wouldn't be difficult to achieve and would give you more scope if it's south facing. With a damper soil, Hostas would be fine there along with things like Astilbe, and some of the Sibirica Irises. Good variation in height, shape and foliage, and good cover for wildlife.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks both for your suggestions - some good ideas there that I can work with.
    I'll get on with it after the cold snap next week.