Forum home Plants

Wild plants

tessJtessJ Posts: 4

Hello, my partner has planted a few packets of wild seeds outside the front of our house. I've since noticed that the packets say harmful if eaten! So I'm now thinking that the plants are obviously toxic or poisonus! we have two children so I'm worried. whats the best way for me to get rid of the soil and seeds? Shall I call someone? I'm not a gardener so I don't have a clue! Any advice will be great! Thank you 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

How old are your children tess? Education is the best policy, drum it into them that they are not to eat plants/flowers etc. I regularly handle toxic plants such as foxgloves and I'm still here image

• tessJtessJ Posts: 4

Hi fishy65! I have a toddler and a 7 year old! I have told them not to go near the area so I'm hoping they won't! I don't know what flowers they are yet either because the seeds were only planted last week and the packets just said mixed wild flowers! 

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

Are you sure the alert does not mean the seeds themselves? Where I live, this message is written on the packages meaning that the seeds should not be used for food, like sprouts.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,499

I would not and did not grow foxgloves when my children were toddlers. I can't think what other wild flowers would be toxic.  Perhaps you can pull up the foxglove seedlings as they emerge and leave the rest.  I would not worry about the soil.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • tessJtessJ Posts: 4

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I think all I can really do now is wait and see what flowers grow and try pulling up the ones that could be an issue! 

• Daffodils are very poisonous but this does not stop people growing them in abundance  or buying themy in shops 

Teach the kids not to eat anything in the garden without adult supervision 

• I have been growing flowers for years with no knowledge of what they were or owt. During this period I also grew 3 very mucky , always coveres in mud and worms , children. They are now 31, 29, and 25 years old. 

All played in the garden which was full of wild flowers , foxgloves , angels trumpets etc and survived. 

They often feasted on slaters ( wood louse I think the English call them ) worms, slugs and spiders. Did not do them any harm except my youngest daughter now plays rugby for England - must have been the slaters ...

unless your kids eat plants there is no risk to them. Enjoy your wild flowers, teach your kids the joys of watching the bees and butterflies And how the eco system works .

Try to stop them eating slugs though as that really turns the stomach ?

Last edited: 08 April 2017 00:19:26