Forum home Wildlife gardening

Swallows - Anyone seen them yet?

It's getting on for that joyous time of the year, the return of our swallows! Looking back on last years diary our first one was seen here on the 15th. Whilst out & about yesterday in the Aeron valley a few miles from here,I'm not sure that I didn't spot one swooping into a barn, but my OH says I was imagining it, probably a sparrow he said. However talking to a neighbouring farmer this morning he said it wasn't unusual for them to be seen in the Teifi and Aeron valleys a week before they appear here, so maybe........

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

There's a post about swallows here http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/swallows/995002.html  Hope the link works :/

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 347

Spotted the first ones here on Tuesday.  I am in Central Scotland.  I thought I was imagining them at first but having spent the last couple of days out in the garden I could clearly see them darting around.

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 347

I went out and had a word with them Muddle-Up image they should be with you soon! 

• Saw the first couple last week (West Wales) and half a dozen flitting over the garden this afternoon.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

we saw 4 this afternoon. First time this season.

Devon.
  • Yes they have arrived in Cotswolds.

• Went out into the yard yesterday morning and heard the familiar twitterings coming from the barn, one pair of ours have arrived back safely. OH dashed out to put a tarpaulin over his precious tractor that lives in there, before it gets covered in anything else!  Have been watching them this morning swooping around chasing each other against a beautiful clear blue sky here in sunny Ceredigion image Maybe they flew in with yours Astralsurfer? I had seen one or two just passing through during the last week, maybe heading your way Muddle-Up image What with the swallows and the lambs distracting me now I shall never get any work done!

• image  image  image  image

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,333

Finally - 2 turned up this morning image

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Still only one pair here busy flying in and out of the barn opposite our sitting room window. Haven't noticed any others in the area, hopefully there are more on the way, we had 3 pairs nesting last year, producing about 30 offspring between them Anyone else think their numbers are down?

Sparrows are noisily nesting in the new-build terrace that OH has put up in the stables for them and the chiff-chaffs are calling in the woodland so its really feeling like summer is on its way even if the weather hasn't realised!

Last edited: 30 April 2017 10:42:18