Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pond mystery solved

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,122

For the past few mornings I've been puzzled by the appearance of a white-ish film on the surface of the shallow end of our pond ... by the end of the day it's spread all over the pond.

This morning the mystery has been solved ... I looked across and saw something grey in the shallow end ... I looked again and realised it was a wood pigeon just sitting there 'in her bath'  contemplating her world ... as she flew off she left behind a grey/white powdery film which then began to spread across the pond  - of course - it's powder down

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/ask-an-expert/previous/pigeonpowder.aspx 

Why didn't I think of that before? image

Last edited: 06 April 2017 10:12:18

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

If It makes you feel better Dove I've been wondering why my pond has an off shimmer to it in one corner.

Turns out Reggie has been trying to pee up the developing rushes image

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 641

I get this too Dove takes a while to disperse they have been in this morning hope they are not eating the tadpoles as they don't seem to be many this morning ?