Are ducks in the pond a good or bad thing

We seem to be having a regular visit from 3 ducks. They seem perfectly at home in our wildlife pond.

Although this looks lovely we are worried they may be a bad idea.

Do they eat the frogspawn and frogs or do they actually do no harm.

Should we scare them off when we see them?image

some advice would be appreciated.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,805

Ducks will eat anything and can be messy but are also wildlife and will be interesting if they lay eggs and hatch them successfully.

You have to way up the pros and cons.  If you like the ducks then try leaving some poultry food out for them to reduce predation on spawn and everything else.  If you decide against ducks, borrow a dog.  Ours always chased visitors away so the never stayed long  enough to do damage.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999

They eat whatever takes their fancy, and that includes frogspawn and, I've no doubt, tadpoles, but they also  eat slugs and snails.

They're also very fond of snoozing on nice soft comfy clumps of herbaceous plants and boy of boy , can they sh*t.

I used to encourage mallards to our pond by the house, but now they're gently ushered back down the hill to the lake.

As with most things. Balance is key.

Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,924

I love them, but if you want rid, I have some good recipes for duck image

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Do your best to discourage them (difficult as they can be very persistent). They eat all sorts of pondlife, including tadpoles by the thousand and even adult frogs, and foul the water. Certainly don't put food out for them. We have a wild female that nests every year in the undergrowth (despite our best efforts chasing them away), but the ducklings don't spend more than a few minutes on our ponds before she leads them away (I think over the fields towards the nearest river, which is quite a long way away).

• MarranMarran Posts: 98

I love it when the Mallard ducklings are brought up to our patio by their mum ...  Also had  Moorhen chicks last year though they stayed much closer to the pond. A pair of Mandarin's have also made an appearance the last 3 years though not nested.  I have Pekin Bantams and the ducks know that I'll feed them too and come up from the pond am and pm in anticipation. :-)  

• BevCBevC Posts: 3

Thank you all for you advice. I think we will try to deter them whenever we can then. Especially if they start nesting as there is no lake or river that they can walk to.

At least we know our pond is definitely appreciated by the passing wildlife so it must be good :)

• BevCBevC Posts: 3

So we have given up chasing them away as they are about long before we notice them. So apart from eating all the frog spawn they appear to be doing no noticeable harm. They do only seem to use us as a daytime hangout, and fly off at night and they are not about every day. So for now we are leaving them to waddle about. Next year we are going to protect the frogspawn so they also have a chance to thrive image