Rabbit trap (live)

hi does anyone have an effective model of live rabbit trap? WHat do you bait it with? Is it legal to release them?

Thanks.  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,428

AS RABBITS LIVE COMMUNALLY IN FAMILY GROUPS IT WOULD BE UNKIND TO MOVE ONE TO A NEW PLACE AS IT WOULD BE SHUNNED BY AN ALREADY RESIDENT POPULATION. 

I HAVE NO IDEA IF IT IS LEGAL BUT IT IS CERTAINLY NOT KIND.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 712

I have one rabbit, he didnt bring his family. I will return him from whence he came! 

They traps all look the same online and im not convinced they work. I did think i read a post that someone was successfully trapping rabbits live, but of course i cant find it now. 

Bought one at £30. Im followong the instructions, but no rabbit, and its not taking the bait near the trap, but it is eating my cabbages and purple sprouting broccoli.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,336

how do you know " from whence he came"?

Devon.

Outside my gate. They live under the neighbours woodpile, and under the other neighbours garage etc its rabbit wonderland here. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,336

we've got a rabbit warren on our land, and also a fox's den. They seem to have reached  a balance. The fox/ foxes keep the rabbit numbers under control.

I'm not sure your bunny wouldn't come back from the woodpile once you've released it.

Devon.

No foxes really near here, its shooting land. How do you mean come back from the woodpile?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,677

Once they find the restaurant - they'll just keep coming back. Some years they will be worse than others. There's a very good way of dealing with them, but you may not want to go down that route....image

Otherwise - you'll just have to create physical barriers round anything susceptible....

...and that's probably everything image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

Im completely rabbit fenced. He is stuck on the inside.