Forum home Plants

Plant ID/alternative suggestion

SarahDKSarahDK Posts: 7

I have a picket fence at the front of my garden and I want to try and recreate something similar to this picture but I have no idea what the green plant next to the lavender is. Does anyone have any suggestions of what it is or of similar plants I could use as an alternative? My fence is going to be painted black  not white and I'm undecided between apricot, pale pink or cream roses but I really like the lavender, rose and green plant combination. I live in Denmark so need hardy plants but my soil is much textbook loam but I'm not sure what the ph is. My water is ph 6.4 and rhodode are very popular so I assum I have acidic soil. Every garden centre sells bags on the stuff to make plants stay blue as well.

Last edited: 03 April 2017 14:22:29

• B3B3 Posts: 27,353

Alchemilla ladies mantle.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,353

I'm not sure that the purple plant is lavender

Last edited: 03 April 2017 14:37:50

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,024

It could be either alchemilla mollis in flower or, less likely, golden oregano in leaf.

I don't think the blue plants are lavender.  The paler blue ones with blue-grey foliage look more like nepeta (cat mint).  The name of the darker blue one escapes me for the mo but maybe someone else can help.

Lavender likes well-drained alkaline soils.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,961

Obelixx - I agree - alchemilla mollis for the acid greeny-yellow.

The paler blue-grey is nepeta

could the darker blue be a dwarf Veronica spicata ?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Yes.  My wee brain couldn't get past veronica gentianoides and I know it's not that.

Last edited: 03 April 2017 14:54:35

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SarahDKSarahDK Posts: 7

Thanks everyone for the plant ID's. I'll have check out the acid/alkali requirements and hardiness zones for those plants. Any suggestions if that's a shrub rose or a climber?

Looks like several shrub roses to me.

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Hmm it could be Veronica or just Salvia growing towards the light (my Ostfriesland does that and curls slightly). Gertrude Jekyll rose would have a similar effect if planted like in the picture.

Last edited: 06 April 2017 16:44:33

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,878

salvia ostfriesland might be the taller blue plant.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,878

sorry Mark, for some reason your post wasn't there a moment ago. image

Devon.