Forum home Garden design

What would you do with this area?!

ive got this tiny patch of soil next to my patio, so it needs to look nice! It's south facing with a bit (about a foot) against the fence and some under the hedge which used to be a small pond. I'm not allowed to removed any patio slabs. I was thinking of putting some sleepers or malvern stone wall around the old pond to create a small raised bed to help with the soil quality under the hedge. There's a magnolia tree which I can train across the fence. I like purple and white flowering plants like quince, viburnum popcorn, hellebores, philadelphus, salvias, heather, geraniums. imageimage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,509

The soil there will be starved because of the proximity of the conifers and it isn't wide enough to do anything major with it. Hardy geraniums might just manage to survive there otherwise just use some more lovely pots like the ones you already have and use seasonal planting to bring a splash of colour to the garden.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,218

You could make a raised bed between the patio/fence with a trellis on the back or use the fence if its yours, plant it up with a clematis / climbing roses etc with bedding plants or lavender.  

Could dig lots of manure into the border next to the comifers for more choice in plants but like LB4 said it not very big for major plans. Could try euphorbias 

Last edited: 01 April 2017 21:53:16

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,098

Think maybe a nice herb garden, thyme, rosemary, sage all like dry conditions and it would be handy by the door, plus evergreen. I'd make a planter...I use pallets to make a long oblong deep trough to plant climbers and train like you say along the fence. Let us see pictures of what you decide to do image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I like Perki's idea of a climber on the fence with summer colour bedding in front. Maybe a low raised bed with a layer of spring bulbs that you can over plant with annuals each year.

I'd level the bit in front of the hedge and put pots on it.  LB is right, permanent planting might struggle there, and you can move the pots out of the way when you trim the hedge.

• Liz WarnerLiz Warner Posts: 199

Thank you everyone! I'm working on each bit of the garden at a time and come on here for each section!  But I'm loving it and it's starting to look good.  I like the idea of a raised bed / planter with only hellebores and lavenders in for a simple elegant look, maybe some bulbs too.  Then add a trellis to the fence and add a clemetis or passion flower of some form.  Thanks all!  

• Liz WarnerLiz Warner Posts: 199

Clemetis florida!!!!