Forum home Plants

Buddleja

Dilly3Dilly3 Posts: 91

I would like to plant a Buddleja in a sunny spot but can't decide which variety to buy. There are dark purples, light mauves , pink ones and even a white one.  

Is it just the choice of colour or does one perform better than the others ? 

• There are many varieties, which vary in size and attractiveness to butterflies. There are a few which have whiteish foliage. Flower colour is not much of a guide.

Last edited: 31 March 2017 15:18:55

• imageDilly, this is one of my favourites Buddleia Globosa, a little different from the usual ones, but treated in the same way.  We also have white and mauve coloured "normal" Buddleia too.  As Alan says, the butterflies love them.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

I find the white ones look very sad as the flowers go over, brownish. I prefer the very deep purple. However, they all seem pretty tough. The Alternifolia types have the most fabulous scent, a mix of fresh hay and honey.

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 561

I had one a few years ago but the leaves got shabby after a few weeks and I chopped it back before the flowers appeared. It was moth-eaten rather than butterfly-attracting.  I coudnt see any critters or disease but it looked ugly so it had to go.

• Dilly3Dilly3 Posts: 91

Hi again,

thanks to you all for your replies, they were very helpful. I like the sound of the orange ball one so I might have to buy that one as well as the other type. I will read up  about the more common  types of buddleja and then decide. 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,708

Like a number of other plants (e.g. roses), Buddlejas have interesting flowers but display not a very nice habit in my opinion. They need to be severely pruned. See this discussion: http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/when-should-i--prune-buddleia/30686.html

I've had an interesting variety, with a habit quite different from the common ones: Buddleja alternifolia, see https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=266

I recommend it. Lovely smell too. Needs a lot of space, not for small gardens. Looks nice for about 6 years then needs to be replaced (but the same can be said of most Buddlehas).

Re their attractiveness to butterflies (and their common name of 'butterfly bush'), they do attract butterflies if there are butterflies in the vicinity. Over the course of the past 15 years I have witnessed a great decrease in the number of butterflies flying around.image Unfortunately, buddlejas do not have the power to make butterflies "appear" out of the blue.

@GD, interesting variety, this Buddleia Globosa. I have never seen a specimen. Are they fairly rare?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,708

A pic of my Buddleja alternifolia taken 7 years ago.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • B. globosa is not uncommon, it flowers in spring, unlike davidii.

I grow B. x weyeriana, which is a cross between davidii and globosa, with orange flowers that intermediate in form. They flower for longer, starting at the same time as davidii but continuing into the autumn, although they are not as good for butterflies as davidii.

• I thought the Buddleia Globosa were quite rare Papi Jo- in fact the garden section of our newspaper also thought that they were rare and devoted a full page picture of our parent Globosa in my parents garden with my mum standing next to it about 15 years ago.  Mum kept on giving us twigs from the parent plant which rooted easily in our garden.  However, since then I have seen quite a few more of them growing around the island, so yes you are right, they aren't so rare.

• If you're short on space Buzz is nice (dwarf), otherwise I love Pink Delight (RHS Merit)