Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ring Neck Doves are Nesting in my Garden

Hi,  A pair of Ring Neck Doves have chosen to build a nest in the middle of the Honeysuckle which covers one side of the Archway in my garden.  On the other side of my archway is where my greenhouse and shed are. I am worried for their safety as there are a few cats  around, i noticed a black cat in my garden the other day.  The Honeysuckle is not overly dense as i can see the dove sitting on the nest from my window. Is there anything i could do to help keep them safe.   

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,314

Do you mean Ring-necked Parakeets or Collared Dove?

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • pennymaxpennymax Posts: 56

Hi Redwing,  apologies for my initial description of ring neck doves, they are Collared Dovesimage

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,314

Best thing you can do is not draw attention to them and hope the cats don't notice. They can have more than one brood in a season and if the cats give them grief they will go somewhere else. When CD chicks fledge they can't fly very well and initially spend time on the ground.  Hopefully parents will entice them to nearby cover.  That is probably the most vulnerable time for the fledglings.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,255

COLLARED DOVES CAN FIGHT OFF MOST THINGS. I HAVE ONE WHICH REGULARLY BULLIES THE MAGPIES AND ROOKS AND IT HAS BEEN KNOWN TO GAVE A GO AT ME IF I GO TOO NEAR IT. 

NASTY LITTLE B******S.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pennymaxpennymax Posts: 56

Hi, thank you to all for your advice,  From the patio window we can see the parents taking turns on sitting on the nest, and at the moment all appears well.  We have decided not to use the Archway as not to stress the doves.  I do hope they will survive but i have my doubts as i have seen a couple of Magpies  on my neighbours roof. image