Tomato plant problems

Hi everyone,

I'm growing a couple of tomato plants, indoors for now, but over the last 2 weeks I have noticed that some of the leaves are slowly yellowing and maybe curling too.

They are in potting compost, under blue and red LED lights and are on a heating mat set to 22C.

I tend to water them a little twice a day, and I thought they would have enough nutrients in the compost as I only re-potted them 2 weeks a go.

However, I fertilised when I noticed it with a general purpose liquid fertiliser, and again 1 week later. However, hasn't made a difference, or halted the spread

.image

imageimage

By the way, complete novice, so any help at all would be great. I've had a look at loads of pictures of tomato problems, but struggling to nail it down...

Andy

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750

It could well be a lack of good light Andy - can you put them on a sunny windowsill during the day and just use your led's to extend the day a bit? but let your plants have at least 6 hours of dark/day. The sun is getting stronger now and will give better growth than your leds

If the leaves are yellowing between the veins then maybe  a spray with epsom salts would help (magnesium)  - a level t-spoon dissolved in 1L water and just spray the leaves. They only need 1 treatment.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AndyKAndyK Posts: 3

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately my house seems to have been built with no windowsills! I know, who does that?

Do you think they would be OK outside daytime so I can catch a sunny spot? Daytime temp at the moment is about 13-15C

I haven't been switching the lights off at all for weeks, do you think 24 hour light may have stressed them out?

I'll give the epsom salt trick a shot though, sounds like a great idea.

Thanks

Andy

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750

No windowsills = less dusting and ornaments :)

Min temp for toms is 13c, and with ones so young they probably wont tolerate any less.
    Sounds like they've had a very long day indeed they will be stressed with continuous light, give them a rest - try an 18/6 cycle

If you can cover them with something like a cloche outside on a warm sunny day, they'll appreciate that. They need sunshine but also to be kept above 13c

good luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AndyKAndyK Posts: 3

Excellent, thanks for all the help, I'll see if I can keep them going!

Andy

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,957

I'd echo the lack of light as the issue Andy. When they're that small, light is more of an issue than warmth. Having them on extra heat initially has also meant they've germinated and grown more quickly than they would if left to their own devices a bit more. 

Once you have them potted on and outside it won't be such a problem. Good luck with them anyway. Perhaps you'll have to invest in a greenhouse for next year  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,037

Plants do need a dark period for photosynthesis to work properly.  Some info. here:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tomatoes-grow-darkness-67767.html

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,957

Ah - I only read Andy's first post , Bob - hadn't read the bit about lights being on permanently  for a few weeks image

You're right - if they're not getting both things, it creates the wrong environment for them. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....