Plant for my dolly tub

Hello!

I'm new to the forum & a relative novice gardener. After looking at an outdoor space flagged top to toe in 1980s pink & yellow concrete flagsimage (hasted to add not by us but previous owner) We finally laid with lawn & cut out beds. This spring I'm in process of creating my dream of a wildlife/cottage style garden I'm hoping you all can advise on my new/ fledgling garden.

This in mind, one good thing left by the previous owners is a lovely old dolly tub. I hope to grow some kind of plant in it in keeping with my cottage theme. Thinking perhaps buddleia, lilac, dwarf patio apple praps? , standard rose? but completely clueless tbh advice for what's appropriate for container approx 24" x 18"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO DRILL QUITE A LOT OF GOOD SIZED HOLES IN IT FOR DRAINAGE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Welcome to the forum Cherrytree.  You will find plenty of advice and helpful hints on this garden forum

Top of my list for a cottage garden would be hollyhocks and foxgloves - they both self seed here, are biennials and attract bees and other insects.  You can collect the seed once the flowers have finished and grow you own seedlings for the following year. Dianthus and lupins are also useful cottage garden plants, adding depth to a flower bed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715

Oooh, for a cottage garden-style container plant you can't do better than a hardy fuchsia

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/alan-titchmarsh/504873/Hardy-fuchsias-take-a-bow 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh