Forum home Plants

Is my laurel diseased

amberspyamberspy Posts: 192

imageimage

Hi guys this first time in my garden this year as haven't been well enough to do it ,thought I'd tackle the front garden weeds ,now I have six laurel plants which planted three years ago they growing great but noticed two have badly been eaten but not sure what 

are they worth saving?

ive posted two pictures one that fine one with holes etc ,any advice be great 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

Hi image  Glad you're feeling well enough to get out into the garden - don't overdo it if you've been poorly! 

Those are old leaves, they've suffered the depradations of weather and snails/bug and will fall off in time.  New ones will grow to replace them.

The bushes themselves are fine but lthe yellowish tinge indicates that they could do with feeding - some Fish Blood & Bone, which is a slow acting organic fertiliser scattered around them will do them the world of good. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• amberspyamberspy Posts: 192
    Dovefromabove says:

Hi image  Glad you're feeling well enough to get out into the garden - don't overdo it if you've been poorly! 

Those are old leaves, they've suffered the depradations of weather and snails/bug and will fall off in time.  New ones will grow to replace them.

The bushes themselves are fine but lthe yellowish tinge indicates that they could do with feeding - some Fish Blood & Bone, which is a slow acting organic fertiliser scattered around them will do them the world of good. 

See original post

Definitely not plenty breaks for me??

great that's great news so will I just let leaves fall off themselves yeah

i get some fish blood bone at weekend how much do I use per plant ??

It should tell you on the pack .image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dovefromabove says:

It should tell you on the pack .image

See original post

cheers ??can I ask you if cutting them back will make them bushier quicker ?ive never cutted them back since I planted them but growth has been great plus no idea what to cut etc ??

Yes it will encourage sturdier thicker growth. Show us some pics of the whole bushes and we can give you an idea of your options. 

imageimage

Dovefromabove says:

Yes it will encourage sturdier thicker growth. Show us some pics of the whole bushes and we can give you an idea of your options. 

See original post

Thank you 

picture 1/ this is 2 plants these planted 3 years go they were tiny ,also hubby is going take 1 out at wkend to let other one grow (plant under it has been moved)

picture2/ this was planted two year ago but I've never cut it back yet ,it did grow a lot last year 

I would cut them back by one third - now is fine. 

Dovefromabove says:

I would cut them back by one third - now is fine. 

See original post

Great I do on Sunday as working tomorrow and Saturday 

call me thick ???but do I take from sides ,tops or front 

From the top , and you can shorten any side shoots by one third too image

Dovefromabove says:

From the top , and you can shorten any side shoots by one third too image

See original post

Thanks ??