Forum home Plants

Hidden gems?

Hello, I've inherited a stone planter from previous house owners which has come to life in the last few weeks. I had intended to fill it with geraniums -do you see anything that looks good and might be worth keeping before I throw it all on the compost?

?image

And, also, would you chuck out all the old soil and put in brand new compost for the geraniums?

thanks, hope someone can help!

Last edited: 29 March 2017 14:20:19

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,364

tulips, the greyish blue leaves at the front

and yes I'd tip and refill with new compost.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Some of those tulips are flowering at the back and I can see a bud on one near the front image

Could the long thin leaves be irises?

Don't know what's in the middle image

• Thanks both.  Yes, it's the one in the middle that's confusing me. Here's a closeup 

We thought it was all just straggly grass when we moved in so tulips are a nice bonus!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,819

The middle one looks a little like my Centranthus but I would like a second opinion. It seeds itself everywhere.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • MarranMarran Posts: 166

I'd agree, middle one is a stray Valerian - but the Hummingbird Hawk moths love it! 

Hummingbird Hawk moths are not too numerous here in the UK yet as they cannot survive our winters but we get regular influxes from France each year. Gorgeous little creatures.

yeah, Valerian. 

You said hidden gems image

• Oh wow, thanks! So are centranthus and valerian the same thing? They look similar on google images, says valerian is a herb-what if I moved it to my herb garden-would it take over?

Thanks for the replies x

Yes elspeth, they are the same thing - just have two different names. Trying to confuse us gardeners even more. image

Please do not move it into your herb garden - it is a thug! As I said before it seeds itself everywhere so just keep an eye on it.

There are two plants called Valerian by common name

Centranthus rubra, the pink or white thug that bees (and me) adore

and

Valeriana officinalis, the herb

You have the former