Paint effect

I have been given some cast concrete Japanese statues for the garden. Can anyone suggest a metallic bronze paint that I can use. I have seen the tins of spray but I would probably need quite a few and I thought the paint would be less expensive. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,395

MAY WE HAVE A QUICK LOOK AT YOUR STATUES? I AM INTRIGUED.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,013

Maybe something like Hammerite. It's tough for exterior metal. Not sure how it would work on concrete. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,238

I think you'd need to prime the concrete with a watered down outdoor masonry paint and then full strength masonry paint.    Then, maybe, a metallic effect paint would adhere but I don't know how well it would weather.   If you can find some masonry paint in a bronze shade and then maybe apply an outdoor grade varnish - satin rather than gloss - that may give the metallic effect you're after.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

Concrete is porous so you need to seal it first. Give it a good scrub down to clean and then seal with something like silk a proof which you can buy for under a tenner from wickes. Leave to dry then paint however you want. If you have some spare ova you could water it down and then give alight coat over the top.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.