Half dead skimmia japonica - Rubbella

I have two Rubella skimmia japonicas they have been ok since they were put in 6 years ago but just over a year ago they started to die/not be happy - it has happened to half of each plant - they bare in semi shade with big trees way above -

Please can anyone give me advice/help?

Many thanks Alex x

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

Could be any number of things Alex.  Do you have a photo of the problem?

• Lion SLion S Posts: 263

Sounds like Phytophthora, root/collar/crown rot. Usually this occurs when growing conditions are not right for this shrub. It needs a humous-rich soil, with a pH of about 5-6. The soil should stay moist, but also needs to be well drained. It does not like chalky soils.

• That's funny Lion because the skimmia in my London garden does really well in heavy clay (I have mixed in loads of other stuff over the years, mind you) and it is free draining. Total shade though.

A photo would be good.

Something so dramatic could be a rot, yes. Or vine weevil image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,959

I'm wondering if it could be the opposite problem. If there are big trees overhead, the ground could be too dry. Skimmias prefer a moist soil. image

Yes - clay's no issue for them. They grow like weeds up here. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Good point Fairy...I wonder what trees overhang it too.

In the south of France, we have a couple of large cypresses overhanging a partially shaded area and the ground is bone dry.

Not only, but once the cypress leaves fall and you get that pine needly brownish coating on the ground, nothing but nothing will grow for long under them.

I've heard that can often happen with ground under conifers.