paulownia tormentosa from seed

UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 341

i had germinated about three of the seeds sown, in february, on a 10w propagator providing quite a high temp to the seedlings, until they appeared then i switched off the heat and grew them on without a cover and keeping wet/moist in our kitchen, ie a normal room temp.

within a month two seedlings had died.  one remains.  but it's growth is incredibly slow.  for a tree that apparently grows so rampant, i'm just wondering is this a normal experience?

I've also re-sown loads more seeds and yet to have any appear but its probably another week from germination at best.

would you think it was inadequate light? don't try so early in the season?    should the heat continue after germination?

Should i not use a heated propagator for these seeds?

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 341
    just found this old post.  i realised later it was obvious i just tried too early with the seeds..not enough light.  The second sowing of seeds was fine and i have about five strong baby trees a year later and looking forward to them leafing up this spring.  They will be coppiced each year to produce larger leaves.