Forum home Problem solving

Clematis Montana 'Elizabeth'

13»

• Oooh I've never seen its sister Obelixx sounds interesting, for when I get a huge garden (some day) and can get loads more clematis. I am getting rather obsessed with them...

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,564

Alba

Caerulean

Last July in my Belgian garden.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Sandra100Sandra100 Posts: 130

Hiya all

Going back to support for my Clematis Montana, not sure my budget nor my practical skills are up to fence posts and tensioned wires!

However I've just watched Beechgrove Garden and Toby Buckland made a frame out of 6ft canes to train pleached limes, and I just wondered whether I could use the same type of frame to grow my Clematis on and train new growth into.

I've got some canes in and thought I could probably do that.  Did anyone see it and think it might work??  I appreciate that 1 frame might not be enough, but I could make a few and put them next to each other in front of the fence.

Montanas need a permanent support as they only get pruned back after flowering to keep in bounds.   I don't think a cane support would last lore than one season so you'd be back at square one.

Have a look on freecycle to see if anyone has posts - easy enough to dig a hole, and pour in some dry concrete mix while holding the post vertical.   Then, when set, you drill a hole thru and attach the wire.

Failing freecycle, you'll have to "impulse" buy a couple of posts and then add as necessary.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107

Different type of growth Sandra. The pleached limes eventually support themselves - the frame is only for initial trianing. It's not suitable for a montana, as Obelixx says.

Better to build a proper support of some kind for it,  or buy a shed for it to scramble over  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks both for taking the trouble to reply.

Unfortunately  I don't have the confidence around power tools that many on this forum do (wish I did!). Also, it seems there's lots of hardcore under my heavy clay soil, so digging holes the necessary depth to accommodate posts is not that simple either.

Going to try and erect some type of structure with canes and netting for them to scramble up.

Will not be defeated!!

You could ask a partner/father/brother/neighbour or another practical female to drill holes for you.

Seriously, a montana needs a lot more sturdy support than canes and net.

What about giving it to a friend and buying a smaller clem?

Last edited: 31 March 2017 12:09:12

I don't have anybody locally who could help me with this, and none of my friends are interested in gardening.

That's why I need to find an alternative solution, which I will do!