Forum home Problem solving

Bluebell Infestation

Hello, 

We moved house last year and our new garden has thousands of bluebells.  I have spent the last couple of weekends digging as many out as I can.  Most of the time I manage to get the bulbs out (which I put straight in our brown bin or take to the tip), but sometimes when I'm close to mature plants I only manage to get the stem.

I know without getting the bulb out, that they will come back next year, but am I doing anything positive to weaken the strength of the plant by removing the stems and has anyone any other remedies. We have a couple of cats, so I'm not keen on strong chemicals.

Finally any views as to if a spade or fork is the best tool. I tried hand tools, but I don't get deep enough to get the bulb out.

Thanks

Last edited: 28 March 2017 12:43:50

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Can you take a photo? That way we could see if you have the rogue Spanish one, or, 

if it's the true English plant. In that case you should be selling these bulbs, won't admit to what I paid last year!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Afternoon Peter

bluebells are lovely to see but they do take up the garden space quite quickly and seem to multiply out of control.I keep our ones in check by thinning out once the flowers have died back but you do need to dig up the bulbs.I use a spade myself.

Happy gardening

Jolly Gary

• Peter JPeter J Posts: 13
    Lily Pilly says:

Can you take a photo? That way we could see if you have the rogue Spanish one, or, 

if it's the true English plant.

See original post

Thanks Lily. I will take a photo once they are in flower. Peter

Last edited: 28 March 2017 14:11:44

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

I let them flower as they are clumped in part of the border normally used for later planting, I was looking at them yesterday with a mix of Daffodils, and a Pieris in full bloom its lovely white feathery flowers were shown off by the bluebells quite a picture. Before they turn to seed I chop all the top foliage down and it vanishes until next year, I then plant on top with bedding, the chopping down of the foliage seems to keep it in check and I like Blue, even more so if it is the sky above, just appearing now after a dull morning.

Frank.