Forum home Problem solving

Invasive grassgrass

Excuse the weeds. I appear to have a invasive grass appearing in some of my plot and most pots. It's thick and spiky and massive roots advise please?.

It's took over a pot i have peonies in.

• iceice Posts: 327

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

is it the one that's red at the base? I think that could be soft rush, Juncus effusis.

There are two different grassy things there, that and a true grass that I can't name.

Yes the rush, couldn't think of that or sedge when typing. Thanks for identifying. Presume it's a weed? Any ideas why it's appearing in my pots?

The roots seem really invasive

I don't know where they come from but they often appear in pots, maybe it's the extra watering, more than soil gets, they like it wetter.

I suspect they may be in compost but no proof of that. There were none in this garden til they appeared in pots

Any ideas how to get rid? Tried pulling but it's worked its way round roots of other things id like to keep

If you can't extract if there's only dig everything up and replant the real pot plant

If you can get all the top off below soil level that should it. It's not like twitch grass, it doesn't put out long runners through your plant

Last edited: 27 March 2017 18:49:06

Thanks nut. I'll tackle all pots tomorrow :)