Tree Disaster

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice.

My grandfather has had a small tree in his garden for the past 30+ years. Im not sure what kind of tree (the story is it started from the seeds of an apple, however it never grew any apples). It was around 4 foot tall so not big at all.

Yesterday, my auntie decided to cut it down as it was getting in her way cutting the grass... everyone is devasted (I know its silly but we have alot of memories attached to it). 

Today I managed to salvage from the garden waste bin the tree trunk (which has been dawn off top and bottom from the roots / branches) and also the roots (well what was left of them after being ripped out of the ground). 

I have put the roots in a big pot with new soil, some root growth stuff and water (I have covered it completley so all that can be seen is soil. 

I also have the tree trunk but not sure if this can be rescued...

Any advice on how to rescue the tree would be much appreciated!

I have also taken a few of the very thin branches (more like twigs) and put them in a plastic bottle with around 2 inches of water. I seen online these may begin to sprout white things after 2:3 weeks and can then be put sticking up in soil...

Thanks

Natalie

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

Put a bit more water in the bottle, 6inches maybe, cover a bit more twig, you might be lucky and it will root. 

Worth a try with the roots but if there's no trunk left it's unlikely to do anything

Forget the trunk.

• Thank you! I will put more water in and also see if there are any more I can cut off the trunk. I thought the trunk would be useless, may try arrange for it to be sliced and engraved for family members. Much appreciated!

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

Do you have any photos of it? Someone might be able to identify it so you can replace it.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• Hi,

I will get a photo, dont have any on my phone.

Thanks

• B3B3 Posts: 11,336

I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I hope you manage to rescue it.

If not, perhaps you could buy a small apple tree in his memory.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Auntie is in the doghouse....bet she feels awful.  Meanwhile take cuttings and use rooting powder.  It stands a much better chance of success than just placing it in water.

• I dont think she realised it was such a big deal until it was too late! Does anyone know how long it will take before I might see anything happening with the roots? (If anything happens) 

Thanks!

• vernoverno Posts: 10

I'm also not sure if you can still rescue the trunk but let's hope on the roots. It could still grow back with rich oil and water on it.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,872
    verno says:

with rich oil and water on it.

See original post

I hope that's a typo Verno - and you meant soil! 

Good luck with it Natalie. Hope you can get a  resolution of some kind. A little  bit of sentiment in a garden is just right  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Auntie lives with granda so the grass is hers to cut now that he's too old. The grass has been cut around the tree for around 30 years so don't know what the issue was... anyway, I have replanted the roots in my own garden so fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone for your advice, I am quite a sentimental soul!