Forum home Problem solving

Hammamalis Death

Hi there, can anyone help me ?  I planted a Witch hazel in a sunny corner of the garden when we moved in in 2010.  It has been very happy and flourished until last summer when suddenly it's leaves curled up, went brown and dry and died.  I though perhaps it was too dry and drip watered it with the hose at bight but it has not recovered and is looking very dead at the moment.  Has anyone any ideas, is this the end ?  What is likely to have caused this sudden death ?  Can I replace with another witch hazel in the same situation or would this plant go the same way ?

Please help.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,905

Have you got acid soil? Hamamelis will usually only thrive if the soil is acidic.  I would test the soil before replanting.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • We have acidic soil, it has been very happy for 6 years and there are no signs of pests or fungi.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,063

I have acidic soil and I simply can't grow them at all. The longest I've kept one alive is one season so you've done well. I think they maybe don't like cold wind - and last summer was really windy here, don't know if it was the same where you are - but I'm not really sure why they die on me.

I'd wait and see if it produces any leaves this year before writing it off. If it is a goner maybe try one in a more sheltered spot?

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,089

Mine succumbed to Honey fungus which is present in my garden and to which they are very susceptible.  Fingers crossed it's not that.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.