Forum home Problem solving

I have lawn envy - please help

I am very envious of my neighbours lawn. She never seems to have to do anything but cut it occasionally, yet it's much thicker and greener than mine. 

My lawn has brown patches and is very yellow. I'm trying regular mowing, watering and lawn food but it's not getting any better. Pics attached. ;( 

Any advice? 

Many thanks in advance. 

imageimage

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,708

Has that just been mowed?  If so it looks as if the grass was probably very long and the mower has been set low thereby scalping the lawn.  It should recover with time, but when mowing take it down a little at a time.  Set the mower at a level where it is just taking a small amount off at the first cut, then if still too long lower to the next setting.  A lawn which is mowed often, removing a little, will generally look better than one which is left to get too long and then cut hard.

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,080

Hi Meg

It looks from your photos that the majority of your lawns is in some level of shade. Mayby this could effect the growth and apperance. Have you tried some lawm maintenace using a lawn rake to remove moss and forking the lawn to allow water and air to get to it 

Lawn is very good at bouncing back with a bit of care so hopefully with some good sun and maintenace your neighbour will be looking at your beautiful lawn instead 

• Garden noobGarden noob Posts: 260

The lawnsmith website has all the information you need to achieve a decent lawn 

www.lawnsmith.co.uk/topic/mowing-the-lawn

I'm pleased that my real grass is the same colour as my neighbour's fake grass; it doesn't need too much work but you need to know what to do and when.

In summary:

- Mow once a week during the growing season, cutting off no more than a third of the blade in any cut. I like mine ~3-4 cm long. My lawn is bumpy so I would scalp it if the grass was shorter, plus it's a cheap durable grass so benefits from being longer. Ornamental grasses are usually cut shorter.

- Watering lawns can cause more problems than it solves. If in doubt, in the UK it's probably better not to water them. 

- Your lawn looks like it would benefit from scarifying to remove the thatch. Now is a good time to do that. It'll look worse at first, but benefits in the long run. In future, do this every autumn.

- I favour pelleted chicken manure as a fertiliser, mainly because it's slow release and you can't scorch (kill) the grass if you get it wrong (unlike chemical fertilisers). It's also easier to apply evenly. Watch out for increased fox activity as a consequence. It can smell a bit too - plan for your lawn to be out of bounds for 1-2 weeks after application. 2-3 applications should be enough each year, the first can be after you've scarified it. It makes the lawn very lush.

- Apply Autumn fertiliser before the winter

- Overseed thin patches as and when needed (in Spring or Autumn)

- Iron sulphate is magical stuff - it greens the lawn in a low dose, and it kills moss in a high dose (good to apply before scarifying if you have moss). You can buy this on Amazon etc.

- Weedol Lawn Weed Killer is awesome - one application each Spring will keep the lawn pretty much weed-free. Careful about timings if you plan to sow seed that Spring - check the instructions.

- You may need to spike the lawn if drainage is poor. I've not done it very much on mine.

Last edited: 27 March 2017 23:25:58

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,080

Hi Meg

My lawn is on heavy clay and acts as a narow pathway from from one garden area to a large garden lawn. Both lawns have medium traffic that does compact certain areas. I give it a good spiking about now and spread some topsoil and grit in to the holes  allowing for water and air to get to the compacted  soil. This should encourage new growth. Follow this with a weed and feed now and in Autumn. Scarify the lawn using a lawn rack to remove moss  etc. Throw down some grass seeds. My lawn looks like a bowling green after all that 

Believe me , it's not rocket science image