Forum home Problem solving

New turf in august now hardly growing

I layed new turf last august..now due to wormcasts my grass has apl gone patchy more or less the whole lawn??any advice pls thx.image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513

Patience.

Grass doesn't really start to grow till average temps are steadily more than 8C.

Worm casts are a sign of good soil and can be lightly brushed off.   When you do start to cut, keep the blades high to begin with as longer grass leaves can feed and strengthen the roots and thus help the grass thicken and compete with weeds.

In mid April, when it's warm enough, apply a spring feed for grass, with a weed and moss treatment combined if you thin it needs it.   Follow the instructions on the pack.  Never cut the grass shorter than one inch, esepcially in summer when it's drier.

Last edited: 27 March 2017 12:31:55

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thx obeli...ive put graded topsoil all over and reseeded it and raked it all in i hope this sorts it?? What do you think? Thanks.m

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Obelixx is correct, grass will barely be growing as yet, it will shoot away as soon as we get some April sun on it. The graded soil and seeding will help though may need more than one application but remember where you seed running a mower over it before it is properly rooted will pull it out. I always cut the first cut by hand on new seeding, hard work but worth it. If in April you do use feed and weed do not put any on the new seeded bits, remember with that kind of treatment less is better. It would well be best to wait until the new seedings are well established before weed and feed but water it in well, a hose pipe not a watering can and a couple of days running to make sure it got well soaked in.

Frank.  

• Thanks frank, i raked and seeded it all is it best to keave it now or roll over the top of the seed bed??..

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

It will not make much difference a light roller may set the seed into the soil better for seeding. Definitely do not use any sort of feed or weeding until the new grass is up and sturdy, if it is wet though best just keep off it. You may have to re-dress and seed some parts again as not all seed takes or the birds have a feast, early morning Starlings being the worst, I looked out one morning early and the front was black with them probably after chafers. That is nature my Father would say, one row for the beasties and one for us, or one handful of seed for the birds and one to grow. It is mainly waiting with patience now something gardeners need aplenty.

Frank.

• Thanks frank..