Forum home Tools and techniques

Raised vegetable garden - cardboard or mesh?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to gardening. My boyfriend built me a raised garden bed. He has drilled some holes to allow drainage. We're not sure what to lay down before we fill with soil? Infortunately I was too excited and have already filled it, so I'm going to have to dig it up and replant it later. Would cardboard or a fine mesh be best to prevent soil escaping through the holes? And what are the chances of weeds growing through this high?  Thanks!image

Last edited: 27 March 2017 03:04:16

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,089

Nice chunky box. 

I'd use a sheet of cardboard, or even old newspapers in the bottom. One the soil has settled, I don't think you'll lose much through those holes any way, but a layer of something will do no harm.

Devon.
  • AWBAWB Posts: 421

I'd have a layer of grit in the bottom to improve drainage and slow wood rot.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,235

I would line the whole thing with black plastic (compost bags?) to protect the wood from moisture content, pierce the bottom liberally and then but in some grit or crocks or gravel to help with drainage and keep the holes free.

Depending on what you want ti grow, I would also consider lowering the inner base as it seems high to me and that will make the planting medium heat up/dry out/freeze all the faster according to the weather.  It you're planning to grow alpines the depth is fine but you need to add grit to your planting medium as they like fierce drainage and hate winter wet.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw