Huge wiry tree

Hi

We have just moved into a house with a  large garden. We can't identify one of the trees. (pictured) 

It looks out of control. Can any one tell us what it is and whether it's just about to bloom into part of the garden of Eden or just be a pest. 

Thanks. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,416

Hi - if the pic is refusing to upload, try reducing its size image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,563

I'm wondering if it's a huuugggeee clematis montana which has completely swamped some other tree?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,392

Russian Vine. White flowers as some point. An unattractive thug. My opinion, some like it

Goodness me  image yes that does need sorting out ... it looks more as if there's years and years of some sort of creeper which has climbed over a tree .......... which may or may not be alive beneath it.

My first concern is that at this time of year a tangled mass like that is likely to contain active birds' nests and of course you must not disturb them.

I think I would watch and wait ... as the spring and summer arrive you and we will have more clues through leaves and possible flowers to work out what you've got there - I think there may be several plants in all of that.  

Then in the late summer and autumn we'll have a better idea of your options. image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,392

The few leaves don't look like a clem to be Bob, but there's not much to go on except a jungle

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,563

I think you're right nut.  It is a monster, whatever it is - could be anything under there! image

Here's a barn under a montana:

http://www.gapphotos.com/imagedetails.asp?view=old-barn-with-very-large-clematis-montana-var-rubens-agm-clambering-over--choppyns-barn-chignal-essex--&imageno=51848

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

I've seen a Russian vine virtually swallow an old farmhouse and the apple tree which grew in the garden - over not many years they disappeared from site - not for nothing is it called Mile a Minute Vine. 

• It's in South Wales and faces south. It's full of birds so will have to stay come what may. The overall shape isn't completely unattractive......