Forum home Problem solving

Animal faeces in veg plot

Some animal faeces were dug into a small section of my (bare) vegetable plot by mistake. I am not sure what animal but the faeces were large, pale and soft. Dogs cannot get in to my garden. Cats can but there was no attempt to cover it up. There was no foxy smell (but I don’t have a good sense of smell). Possibly badger? Anyway I now need advice as to how to decontaminate this in case it was a cat. I am selling the property soon so do not want to leave contaminated soil.  Many thanks for any advice.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

animal faeces are part of nature. it doesn't contaminate the soil. Where else are animals going to dump it if not on the soil?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999

THINK OF ALL THE BIRDS, THE MICE, THE SQUIRRELS, THE HEDGEHOGS, THE BEES, THE BUTTERFLIES, THE WORMS.

THEY ALL HAVE ANUSES.

NOTHING CONTAMINANT ABOUT IT. IT GOES IN ONE END AND COMES OUT THE OTHER. ALWAYS HAS DONE, ALWAYS WILL DO. (I HOPE).image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,945

Get a spade or a hoe, flick it out of sight and forget about it.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,905

I confess to digging in loads of poo, from horses and cattle, well rotted of course. We call it Organic. The hedgehogs, foxes, and the occasional cat leave us presents. I dig them in too.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • JaneD8JaneD8 Posts: 13

Dear all, thank you very much for all your replies, they have certainly solved my problem!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,708

From the description I would guess it's cat.  Contrary to popular belief they don't always bury or attempt to bury it.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288

Someone told me that female cats bury their droppings as they don't want to draw attention to themselves and any kittens they may have, whereas male cats leave their droppings in the open to mark their territory and deter other tom cats.  How true that is I have no idea .......... image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JaneD8JaneD8 Posts: 13

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.