Planting a pyracantha hedge

Hello,

I'm a novice gardener. I recently planted a short hedge of 8 pot grown pyracanthas (rogersiana). The nursery said not to cut them down until they had reached the desired height but I have seen advice to the contrary in various other places, saying to cut back after planting. Can any one enlighten me on this, and is it too late to do so now? They were planted in late February. Grateful for any help...

Last edited: 25 March 2017 16:49:50

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,008

Hi Anne- pyracantha don't really need to be cut back as it doesn't affect the growth too much, but you can trim them a bit if you want. It's mainly done to help with establishment of hedging plants, especially if you were planting big specimens, as it's harder for the roots to cope if there's a huge amount of top growth.  

It encourages new growth - another reason for pruning back many hedging plants. It promotes it from lower down and helps it to spread sideways, rather than just up. image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,405

for me it would depend on what they look like. If bushy, I'd leave them. If there are a few very long bits, I'd cut them back. 

• They are a bit spindly and also different heights so perhaps I should trim them a bit. Any idea how much? They're between 2 and a half and 3 feet at the moment.

How about a photo?

• image  here's a pic

I'd trim to about half way up the fence, see what others think, I tend to do it my way, but it works. That's a vicious choice of hedge for next to what looks like a path.