Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird feeding station

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033

Hi, i thought id get a new feeding station. I have one of the poles with hooks at the moment. They dont look great, a lot of food ends up on the floor, and the rats round here are excellent climbers. There is no sheltered area and no water. 

I wondered if anyone had bought one that looks good and works well, or a homemade one you could post a pic of? Its a fairly windy site, so these teacups hanging from trees isnt going to work, needs to be quite robust. Id be grateful for ideas.

• LINDA FLINDA F Posts: 162

1154. This is a feeder my OH made looks just like the ones you can buy. He made it with spare wood he had lying about. The wire is too keep the crows and magpies out as they just devastate everything in sight.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148

I also have a cage to keep bigger birds out. It'll get a proper roof and a frame this year - hopefully.

It's made with the old shelves from one of those plastic growhouses, and is attached to the fence. There's a bracket inside to attach the feeders, and the front opens up to allow access.  All the little birds go in and out no problem - including the ground feeders who have learned to 'perch'  quite happily image

Also - use one of the no mess mixes. Less waste and hardly any sprouting. If you have food in the open, put out only what will get eaten that day. If you can remove the food source by the time it's dark, the rats will go elsewhere - generally. 

Last edited: 25 March 2017 13:56:46

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl, OH thinks that's a good idea with the shelves  from your old plastic greenhouse. Hope you don't mind if he copies your idea . Were always looking for ways to keep the bigger birds out of the feeders.

Hi Linda- it keeps out the starlings which are the main problem here.  They just hoover up anything in open feeders. They tried getting in it a couple of times, but didn't like it - it's been very successful! The hole size is just right. It's just wired together with that plastic coated wire, and you can bend the shelves over toget the size - no need to even cut them. 

I think Asda have them just now really cheaply - better than buying those squirrel proof feeders, and it keeps them out too...  image

I still put food on the ground for the bigger birds, and I have a similar arrangement to yours round my bench, with a gap big enough for the blackbirds. The starlings don't like that either, although they could get into it - too near the house I think  image

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033

Thanks for pics (took me a while to realise what you meant by using shelves!) im wondering about a bird cam too, so that may be a consideration on the design. 

Apologies a1154 - I hoped you could see from the pic that they're mesh!  image

If you have the right spot for the feeder, perhaps the camera could be hidden nearby - other shrubs, trees etc?  I also have my shed nearby, so that would be an option for me if I wanted one. 

I need to make or buy everything, all my trees are too young sadly.

I've got Buddleias nearby - they'll grow very quickly to provide some cover, if you have a suitable space, and you might be able to rig a camera in there too - perhaps on a post which would be hidden most of the year?

The little birds all use it to perch and hide in, and pick off any greenfly etc they find, as well as rooting around the bottom of them. They're in a mixed border which is right next to the road and pavement, but they aren't deterred by any cars or people.

Great for bees, insects and butterflies too of course, so it's been a really useful addition to the habitat. image

Buddleia is not a bad idea at all, the are up in no time arent they? I do have a hedge, also immature, but that should be birdy paradise when it gets going a bit more. 

I like the branches through the mesh too.