Toad spawn

No toad spawn in my pond.  Has anyone in Devon got any yet. I hear that there is a 30% reduction in the numbers, have we an expert to advise what is going on please.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

DON'T KNOW ABOUT DEVON, BUT HERE IN OUR GARDEN POND IN DERBYSHIRE OUR TOADS HAVE FINISHED THEIR SPAWNING.

NOT A LOT TO SHOW FOR IT.

SWAMPED BY A RECORD BREAKING AMOUNT OF FROGSPAWN.

NOT HELPED BY AN EXAMPLE OF AMPHIBIAN LUNACY THAT I FOUND TODAY.

ON THE BOTTOM OF THE POND WAS AN UPSIDE DOWN FEMALE TOAD AND CLINGING TO HER WAS AN ARDENT MALE TOAD. VERY VERY STILL DOWN THERE THEY WERE.

AFTER A FEW MINUTES I DECIDED TO INVESTIGATE. MR TOAD WAS AMOROUSLY AND RESOLUTELY GRIPPING HIS MATE ROUND HER RIBCAGE. MRS TOAD "HAD BEEN IN THE WATER FOR SOME TIME" AS THE PATHOLOGISTS LIKE TO SAY.

NECROPHILIA IS ALIVE AND WELL IN TOAD LAND.

DROWNING IS NOT UNCOMMON IT SEEMS WHEN THERE ARE TOO FEW FEMALES AND TOO MANY MALES.

Last edited: 24 March 2017 20:39:54

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 435

Yes toads are suffering.

There has been a 62% reduction in 30 years with no single factor to blame but a confluence of factors as described in this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/oct/06/uk-common-toad-numbers-down-two-thirds-in-30-years

No need to worry necessarily about the lack of toad spawn in your pond as numbers will fluctuate naturally. If you have newts then its possible that they are eating the toad spawn, which is natural and part of the amphibian boom/bust relationship.

t's better to have a pond and toad-friendly garden than not even though your efforts may feel unappreciated some years. I'm sure they will be back.

• Pansyface, thanks for the info, it seems as though there will be no toads for me now. Glad I haven't had your experience. That's life! Or otherwise.

• THank you, The Helpfull H. I don't have newts but the pond is now full of froglets  again. Frogs keep my hostas free of holes but it would be sad not to see toads again. Let's hope for a quick recovery.