Looking for Wisdom
I'm hoping to glean some knowledge and wisdom! I'm a novice gardener - I've got an allotment I have tended to for 4 years now with relative success - however when it comes to anything pretty or creative I really struggle. I’ve done some reading but struggling to pull my requirements together. Perhaps I’m setting myself too much of a challenge?!
A couple of years ago I took on looking after a flower bed in the village (outside the Dr’s surgery) and I'm really sick of exchanging polyanthas for something equally boring in the summer and trimming the box hedge with ruler precision. It looks old fashioned and boring. I also feel it is such a waste when I have to take them out when they are still blooming beautifully. I can't believe this is cost effective for the village either. I'd really like to pipe some inspiration into the village planting and thought along with it I might do myself a couple of favours. I do have permission to make some changes. Yippee!
- Approx 1.8m x 8mYorkshire
- Alkaline soil
- Edged by fence at the back, grass at the front, paving at the sides
- Extremely dry and a bit rooty from the tree that covers it (not sure what the tree is but it has oval waxy leaves and its probably 4-5m high. Roots may actually come from the box hedging within the bed that I plan to remove)
- In the summer it gets sun from around 3pm (in previous years flowers have crisped with hot sun in the late afternoon) however really it’s mostly under shade from the tree
- North west facing (tree is to the south east)
- A drought tolerant bed that won’t need watering except in extreme events
- Low maintenanceYear-round interest
Would like to Have
- A medicinal theme
So far the plants I think would be nice to incorporate are:
- Spring Bulb: Daffs, snowdrops, crocus
But – I don’t really know how to put these together into any sort of sense (height/combination/colour) and I can’t really gauge if that is going to create enough year-round interest – I think I might need some more colour.
Do you have any advice on how to achieve my goals – any species that would be great to incorporate or advise on what to avoid? Any advice on how I ‘frame’ the bed in terms of whether I look at symmetry or completely random locating – and how I incorporate bulbs in amongst everything.
I’d be very grateful for your advice!