Forum home Problem solving

New turf already dying?

This was put down at the beginning of March. I was told to water it everyday which I knew already and did so, although wasn't sure on the amount.

imageimageimage

I'm just trying to keep the soil moist.

After researching more about lawncare I also read that it was crucial to water it the moment it is put down as it could cause permanent problems. I was not home when it was put down but my wife asked the installer when or if it should be watered that day but he said tomorrow.

Is that reasonable instruction or could it be he forgot to bring his hose, couldn't be bothered to ask for ours or doesn't know himself?

The reason for asking is because parts of the lawn is becoming yellow already and I'm really concerned it's either damaged because of this, or I'm using too much or little water. Maybe this is normal? It looked like the edges of each turf were becoming dry but they are moist.

What can I do apart from panic? I'm still watering it but could that be the problem? It's only rained a few days and not much when it did.

Thanks very much and hope you can help. 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142

I personally wouldn't worry too much. Grass is generally very resilient. Bear in mind that if you have had in laid in the last few weeks then when it was 'harvested' it would have still been in a relatively dormant state after coming through the winter months. I'd keep doing what you are doing but only keep the soil just moist. You want to encourage the roots to drive down in search of moisture. 

• It looks ok, don't fret. When you do water, pay particular attention to the joints. Don't be tempted to feed, yet, either. It won't do any particular good. What we need is a few days of sun and mild nights - then you watch it grow! 

H-C

• pokhimpokhim Posts: 210

It looks ok to me!! 

• Gn0meGn0me Posts: 75

Thank you very much for all your prompt replies, I am relieved!

I don't want to blame my wife... but it's her fault!

She made me paranoid.

I will keep watering it every other day pending any rain, to make sure it's moist.

Thanks again.

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,556

It's looking a lot better than my lawn at the moment!

• Help can I save my new turf

Last edited: 22 July 2017 11:22:19

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Hi jaque image. How long since it was laid?  Did you keep it well watered?

It's looking pretty frazzled, dried out and is shrinking at the joins.  Best course of action is to give it a good drenching and keep your fingers crossed.  It may recover but I don't hold out much hope for the small bits packed in at the edge, an overlap cut to shape would've been better.  

Worst case scenario and it's had it.... re-turf in the autumn, and keep well watered until the roots knit into the topsoil below.

• Yes  have watered it, been down for about a two weeks,tops! It's gone even browner now :((

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

You could always spike your lawn if it's still damp. There is a possibility it has not been tamped in properly. When you water, the water may not be going all the way down because the lower layer of soil is at the moment compacted. Brown grass is not the end. They grow from the base and most of the time a rake and water, they start growing again. So long as there is grass, even brown grass, it will grow back new shoots.

• andybtsnandybtsn Posts: 4
    Sorry for the thread revival!

I laid 32 sqf of turf at the weekend (it was a very hot weekend) - the place I bought the turf told me to water each evening. I did this until Tuesday where I noticed the turf looking very dried out so I started watering on a morning and an evening in hope of saving the turf.
    I might be being pessimistic but I think it looks awful at the moment, I am worried! I turfed two years ago and did not have these issues.

Has anyone any advice?

Thanks!

(for the record the reason you can see soil within the grass it was just to plug air holes potentially there)