Forum home Plants

Hellebore position

AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

Hello 

just been given 4 hellebore herbaceous perennials. But not sure where is best to plant them. On the label they all say part shade. 

I have 3 spaces where I could plant these. 

1 is full shade but bright and sheltered 

2nd is full sun 

3rd is shade until 4pm and sunny until 7pm 

would these go in any of these positions? 

Thanks 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480

Hi Giddy,

I have hellebores flowering successfully for several years  in places similar to 1 & 3 

Last edited: 19 March 2017 19:57:21

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,389

Same as Dove for mine, but I also have one which gets quite a bit of sun and grows like mad.

It does get a lot of rain, and we don't get the extreme heat that other areas get, but you might find they can take a sunnier spot if they have a bit of shade from other planting in summer, and don't get too dry at the roots  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

My preferred spot would be the full sun one. This is where I normally plant my dalihas. 

Thanks 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480

My mother tried to grow hellebores in full sun in a Suffolk garden - it turned out to be much too dry for them and they became weaker and disappeared within three years, so unless your garden soil is reliably moist through the summer I'd try to make sure they have shade at least part of the day. 

As has been said, a good humus-rich soil is also important, so digging in plenty of organic matter and regular mulching with the same is important. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,393

1 or 3 for me

Hellebores need something different from dahlias Giddy image

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

Fab thanks - will go with number one. 

Thanks all 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,389

Yes - our soil is reliably moist all summer so it can cope. Our sun isn't as hot either. Dappled shade is the ideal Giddy - very different from the conditions dahlias like to grow in, as nut says  image

My soil is nothing special  (raised bed with a mix of the existing clay soil and compost) and the beds get a mulch of well rotted manure or compost in spring and a bit of B,F&B and that's about it. They get the full force of the wind and rain, so they get well watered from every direction going!

As Dove has described, it's soil that gets too dry that gives the most problems

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• oakridgeoakridge Posts: 83

We have quite a lot of hellebores, our garden is South facing free draining sandy and acid.

Some are in full sun:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/norwichhouse-oakridge/33130202942/in/dateposted-public/

and others only receive afternoon sun:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/norwichhouse-oakridge/33244754386/in/dateposted-public/

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I have a lot of helebores and they will grow anywhere.image