Plants for pondside

I need some plants to put next to my pond . The soil is clay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,690

Hostas, some more hostas, and , if you have any room left, stick in some more Hostas.

Devon.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,658

How big an area, what kind of plants? Are we looking at moist soil or not, sun or shade? So we can suggest large or small,. green or flowering, bog plants or ones happy in drier soil etc.image

Last edited: 19 March 2017 16:51:28

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,690

Buttercupdays. Hostas meet all above criteria. image

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,102

I have chrysographes Iris in the wet bit beside my pond. They don't flower for long, but they're beautiful while they do 

I also have the white version of Marsh Marigold (Caltha) near them. The yellow one is ideal for wet spots, but it can take over a bit if you're not careful! 

Ferns are ideal, and there's one for every type of site - wet or dry, sunny or shady.

I have a Phormium and a Libertia in the drier bit. They provide evergreen cover for  wildlife. 

As B'cupdays says, if you give us a little more info about the type of pond, sizes, aspect and soil, you'll get lots more suggestions. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 327

Thankyou, the soil is clay, about 4ft sq roughly of  mostly bare soil. The pond is a formed one. I tried growing a hosta but something had a feast on it. At the moment I have some Bergenia, iris, some small grasses ans some aquilegia. It's south east facing. 

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

an evergreen variety of hardy geranium

veronica peduncularis georgia blue (also nearly evergreen)

My brooklime was supposed to be an in-the-pond plant and is colonising everything around it as well (So far not in a bad way but I'll have to keep an eye on it.)

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

I have native plants around mine. You could try cuckoo flower (cardamine pratensis), geum rivale, ragged robin or something bigger like meadow sweet or purple loosestrife image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

I've found that too Watery with brooklime, it can be quite assuming.

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 327

That all sounds lovely, thankyou. I bet all of your ponds are stunning!!!