Is this a wasp?

Hello, all. I'be had a good morning in the garden today; it's raining now so I had to stop. Can anyone tell me what insect this is? I've also seen a black bee (completely black) and a bit bigger, I thought, than the usual bee... Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

Looks like a wasp to me image  Probably a queen just come out of hibernation - we had one buzzing around  here the other day.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Look on here https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/identification/ and see if you can see your bee 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks, Dove. Just thought it was a little chubby for a wasp... image

• Thank you for the link. I think it might have been a Field cuckoo bumblebee, Bombus campestris. 

• Nah, definitely queen wasp.  Even cuckoo bees are hairier than that, although not as hairy as their models. She'll be out looking for a nest site

H-C

H-C - the OP had a second query about the ID of a dark coloured bee image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,021

Can't beat a chubby wasp ppatter  image

Perhaps the angle made it look fatter too - the curve of the petal etc. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ah, the other bee could be one of the solitary ones, one of the mining bees, or, a recent 'invader, xylocopa violacea, which is getting common, from the continent. It's not hairy, and very dark

H-C

• Fairygirl: Yes, probably the camera effect. image

H-C: The black bee was definitely hairy; too bad it was camera shy.