Great created newts must go!

I have had a gardener in today to clear the back garden of the house I just moved into. There is a pond which we thought was empty when he quoted to clear the garden two weeks ago, but is now teeming with life! He has identified some great crested newts amongst all the frogs and frogspawn, so we are obviously not going ahead with filling in the pond today as we had planned. However, the habitat around the pond has now been destroyed - they were working for hours before the pond was even accessible! Also, between my dog and the baby I am about to have, I really would prefer not to have a pond... Can anyone recommend some one who could come and rescue the newts? I'm based in Wollaton, nottingham. I've left a message with Attenborough nature reserve, too.
Hope someone can help!
Helen

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715

Contact your local Wildlife Trust for advice - you can find their contact details via this site

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/your-local-trust 

You'll also find important information here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/great-crested-newts-protection-surveys-and-licences 

Gt Crested Newts are protected by law, and you need to get the right advice before doing anything more.

Good luck

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks! They aren't answering their phones so I have emailed them. Will the newts survive a few days in a pond without any greenery around it? Will they be able to climb out up the vertical edges of the pond to breathe?

Cheers,

Helen

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

YOU NEED A LICENCE TO EVEN HANDLE A GCN!

CAN YOU PUT A PLANK OR SOMETHING INTO THE POND TO ACT AS A RAMP?

THEY LIVE IN DAMP GRASS FOR MUCH OF THE YEAR BUT NEED WATER IN WHICH TO BREED.

SHAME YOU DON'T WANT THEM, THEY ARE RARE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

HERE IS MORE INFO.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/great-crested-newts-protection-surveys-and-licences

IT SOUNDS HEAVY HANDED, BUT AS I SAY THEY ARE RARE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715

Newts are surprisingly resourceful - although somewhat stupid - they regularly crossed our tarmac yard tried to hibernate under our coconut door matting in our old  mill house - inevitably some got squidged image.

If you can put a sloping plank in the pond to make a sort of gangway, or even lay an old piece of carpet or underlay, or sacking or old clothing into the pond so that they can climb up and out that'd be good.  

But for goodness sake be careful and don't topple in - you're probably a bit easily overbalanced at the moment!  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,454

As Pansy says, you should provide them with  plank or some stones they can use to climb out or they'll drown.  You need expert advice before doing anything else to the pond or the newts.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ramp in place, and waiting on a call back from various conservation groups and the wildlife trust. ITa a shame they chose my pond; they are totally wasted on me!

Thanks for all the help and advice.

• Why do you need to move them?  If they are great crested newts, they are heavily protected, as are all newts. Great crested newts are large, the crest on the males stops at the end of the back and then starts again along the tail.If the crest on them is continuous, then they're smooth newts.  Anything over 5 inches long and it's likely to be GCN. They will get to 7 inches. Smooth newts are about 4 in max.

H-C,

• Pic attached, for info. if you need more!

H-Cimage

GCN Female, note the black warty skin

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,718

If something has legal protection , it doesn't matter if they're " wasted on you". I've had friends with bats in their attic. They , like you , weren't keen but the law is there for a reason. 

There have been lots of threads concerning " child safe" ponds on the forum. Steel grills etc. All is not lost.

Devon.