Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse - front and back doors?

Morning all...my new greenhouse is still 3 months away from being delivered, so this gives me plenty of time if I want to change any specifics to the order.

So, I was thinking about adding an extra door, giving me both a front and back door, the extra cost of this is £100 and I was wondering if the added ventilation and greater air flow through the greenhouse on a hot day far outweighs the extra cost?

Any thoughts please image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,235

How big is the greenhouse?  Will the door drastically cut the shelving area you can build for growing things?  Is there not enough roof and vent ventilation, with or without automatic systems for opening them on hot days?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Sheps, no point in two doors unless the greenhouse is ginormous. I took out a pane of glass and fit  a louvre to allow air flow through the house. The back of the house is towards the prevailing wind, in my case westerly, the louvre allows you to set the air flow to the level you want in conjunction with other vents and the single door. It also allowed me to put tempory shelving there in winter. I see no point in spending £100 on something you will find you do not need.

Frank.

• ShepsSheps Posts: 828

Hi Obelixx...greenhouse is 6ft x 10ft, with 3 roof vents with auto openers and 2 louvre vents with auto openers.

The staging and shelving is only going down the righthand side, so there won't be any on the back wall.

Hi Frank...so maybe an extra louvre instead of an extra door, that sounds like a good idea.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,235

I don't think you need a second door and you will probably want to add extra shelving later on so yes, money better spent on extra vents and an automatic system for opening and closing them on days when you're away at work or play.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,387

A back door could be useful if it leads somewhere!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

Thanks Obelixx and mp... Looks like an ​extra Louvre is the way to go.