Garden tools utility belt

I've just bought myself a range of new garden hand tools (from Lidl so I hope they're ok). I'm generally very lazy and won't walk back and forth to the greenhouse to change tools so I thought a utility belt would be a good idea (and of course, I'll look super cool). Does anyone else use one and is it specially for garden tools or just a general belt from somewhere like B&Q?

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,572

I couldn't do all that bending and stretching with a belt on - let alone with a load of tools on it.

I have a large plastic trug with all my hand tools, dibbers, balls of twine etc etc in. Means I can carry a lot of stuff round the garden as I'm working. But I'm constantly walking backwards and forwards to the shed for bigger tools (loppers, edgers etc)

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,829

Most pro gardeners use a holster to hold secateurs but I have never seen any use a full tool belt. I agree with Topbird a trug - bucket or similar to carry round is favourite. 

AB Still learning

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,435

I tend to ram secateurs, labels and seed packets etc into my jeans pockets and just carry the rest about in a bucket.  However, I did buy a gardening relative a gardener's apron, and she says it's one of the most useful gardening presents she's had

https://www.gardendivas.co.uk/product-category/gardening-accessories/gardening-aprons/ 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,289

Would get hot and bothered with a belt thingy.  I use a palstic trug split in two sections and designed for carrying DIY tools round the house but works fine for me for my secateurs, trowel, hand fork and so on.  Anything else needs a wheelbarrow or a big trug.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,061

I'd find a belt too restrictive when bending down, kneeling etc.  I lug hand tools, twine and stuff around the garden in a plastic bucket.  

I always seem to have a handy bit of wire in the pockets of my gardening fleece when I spot something that needs tying in image

• Thanks guys, a bucket type thingy sounds more sensible and I must buy myself a wheelbarrow

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,293

I used to have a holster for secateurs but as I generally end up stuffing the secateurs either into a trouser or fleece pocket I stopped using it.  The only risk is that they flick open in a trouser pocket - risk for fellas at least. image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,229

I tried a belt, the one supplied with the pouches just slipped to the ground so I threaded the pouches onto my jeans belts, couldnt stand it though, now like most people, stuff in pockets, or in a trug if I'm doing extra work. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,572

The trug I use is divided into 3 - one long section and two shorter sections - with a central carrying handle.

Longer tools (fork, trowel, secateurs, hammer etc) go in the long section and the other 2 sections house smaller items such as labels, twine, sharpener, fold up knife, staples etc. 

It's a bit like this one - only with 3 compartments not 2 and probably a bit bigger. Cost about £5 from a local ironmonger.

http://www.wilko.com/mops+buckets/wilko-cleaning-caddy/invt/0300346

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down