Forum home Tools and techniques

Crazy idea?

• CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451

Before and After photos would be nice to see mattgarden.

• mattgardenmattgarden Posts: 109

My garden is 95% made up of tons of pebbles and paving slabs. The elderly couple I inherited it from were a fan of the low maintenance. What greenery that there is is overgrown or not what I want in my garden. But I feel is plentiful to reuse and save me a considerable amount on buying compost to enrich my lawn. Unless generally this isnt always needed? 

I have a baby that I want a lawn for to be a toddler on next summer. I have already started growing seeds and cuttings for the new beds I plan to create after the lawn is done. But for now a clean canvas and the lawn is priority. Maybe my garden will begin bland, but it is the start or the foundations of my masterplan and meets my family's immediate needs. 

Thank you for your advice Cloggie. Im so excited to get underway, even if that involves urinating in my shed! Haha

A 'before' shot as requested! image

Good, glad to hear the plan isn't just to just blandify - it sounds like you have lovely plans.  

Still would like a pic (maybe noseyness) but not of the shed activity, you can keep that to yourself :) 

When I moved in my present garden the previous owners had let a once stocked garden ... er ... slide!   So I did a lot of shredding in my first year and stocked my 6 dalek compost bins with the proceeds.  

I learned from that exercise that you should not compost brambles, you should burn brambles.  Brambles have an oil in them that makes them extremely flammable.  Also, compost them, mix the compost in the soil, later plant stuff in that soil and you get pricked - the pricks don't compost out.

Thanks for the tip. I do have some brambles. I think I'll green bin them. There should be a photo above for you. 

Ah ok, in my head on first reading of your post, you were ripping out lots of stuff and making it a lawn.  I see now that you need a lawn! 

There doesn't look to me too much to be composted so going back to your original question about would it be mad to fill your shed with shredded waste - I'm now thinking yes it would.  You'd do better with a dalek or two/three down that bottom end.  You can then re-use/sell the shed and carry on with the daleks in the future.

I'm not recommending this company but this is the type of bin/dalek I use:

https://evengreener.com/blackwall-330-litre-black-compost-converter-cv330blh?gclid=CPfykM6Q3NICFUFmGwodlHsGJA

What I do is shred stuff, pile it in in layers - someone has already mentioned green and brown as a ratio, and then take the dalek off, put it next to itself and refill it from the stuff it left behind (this fills it with oxygen to kick start it all).

ask again if this isn't clear.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,139

Just to add, if you do put it in the shed you will need to put the hose pipe on it in the summer.  I don't think you can rely on a wee every so often to keep it wet. All we use is a carpet until it's almost ready, then put it somewhere else with carpet and tin on the top.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks to each and every one of you for your help. 

Just a thought on preparing the sight for that lawn. I've read that I should dig in organic material such as compost, hence why I wanted to make my own.

Is this necessary. Will the grass  grow fine in well dug soil? If it is necessary how much compost would you recommend digging in? 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Depends on what the soil is like under the paving and the gravel. If it looks ok then you do not really need compost dug in. But it will give your lawn a good start. I assume you intend to take the roof off your shed before you turn it into a compost bin?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Yes hogweed that was definitely the plan. So torn with what to do for the best as an amature though. Would hate to find bad soil and then need to buy 100s of pounds worth of compost when I could have saved some money by making my own