Bluebells

Attached pictures of what I believe are English Bluebells can anyone help confirm them pleaseimageimageimageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,915

Looks like  hyacinths to me. Right time of year as well, a bit early for English bluebells

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,922

They're not native bluebells I'm afraid. Habit and shape is wrong.

An easy way to tell is the pollen. Native ones have creamy pollen - the Spanish invaders have blue.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,922

Yes - too early nut - I'd forgotten that.

They look like the ones that are a cross between the natives and the Spanish ones. Or did you mean just Hyacinths? They look a bit 'bare', if you know what I mean

Last edited: 16 March 2017 18:12:24

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Edward53Edward53 Posts: 2

From pictures and reading could they be the transforming from British to Spanish my fathers convinced they are British and they came from his uncles farm 30 odd years ago I'm only trying to establish as I want to replant British Bluebells on my mothers resting place in a natural burial ground which why any help and advice is important to ensure I get it right for her 

• KaymayKaymay Posts: 56

Might they be a type of Scilla?  It's the time of year for them

• LynLyn Posts: 9,856

This is an English Bluebell, yours are not the same, it's too early for B as said before. I would suggest buying a pack for your needs.?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,634

100% hyacinths 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 4,234

I say hyacinths too. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,007

I say hyacinths too. 

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,915
    Fairygirl says:

Yes - too early nut - I'd forgotten that.

They look like the ones that are a cross between the natives and the Spanish ones. Or did you mean just Hyacinths? They look a bit 'bare', if you know what I mean

Last edited: 16 March 2017 18:12:24

See original post

They lose that top-heavy look when they've been in the garden for a few year Fairy image

Last edited: 16 March 2017 18:54:41